Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Program
The EMT and Paramedic provides emergency medical care and transportation for the sick and injured, both critical and emergent who access the EMS system. The EMT and Paramedic possesses the knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care and transportation. The EMT and Paramedic functions as a part of a comprehensive EMS response, under medical oversight and is a link from the scene to the emergency health care system.
Skills, knowledge and competencies gained from a successful completion of the program following the National EMS Scope of Practice include the ability to:
Emergency Medical Technicians:
- Function as part of a comprehensive EMS response, community, health, or public safety system with defined clinical protocols and medical oversight.
- Perform interventions with the basic equipment typically found on an ambulance to manage life threats, medical, and psychological needs.
- Are an important link within the continuum of the emergency care system from an out of hospital response through the delivery of patients to definitive care.
- Function includes the EMT scope of practice.
- Perform interventions with the basic and advanced equipment typically found on an ambulance, including diagnostic equipment approved by an agency medical director.
- Provide advanced care in a variety of settings; interpretive and diagnostic capabilities; determine destination needs within the health care system; specialty transport.
Ambulance Simulation is the best way for EMT/Paramedic students and educators to observe students perform EMS tasks and protocols in a realistic environment!
EMT Core Classes
- Our EMT course covers techniques of emergency medical care in a variety of situations.
- Our Pharmacology course deals with the administration of emergency medications in the field.
- The Cardiac Care ECG courses are designed to acquaint you with basic electrocardiographic (ECG) rhythm analysis and interpretation and related care in a clinical and prehospital setting.
- The Vehicle Extrication course Incorporates new knowledge and skills necessary to access, extricate, and care for victims of crash incidents.
Continuing education and refresher training is also provided for those wishing to maintain their level of certification and to prepare for more advanced courses. View our program resources to obtain information and download resources.
The EMT/Fire Science Department is now accepting applications for the Paramedic Education Program. Follow the link to obtain your application now!
Career and Employment Outlook
Job growth in this field is expected to be faster than average for all jobs. Emergencies and an aging population will continue to drive demand for this occupation. For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage, and employment trend information.
Paramedic Program Accreditation
Phoenix College Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, CAAHEP (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational programs for Emergency Medical Services Professions, CoAEMSP (www.coaemsp.org).
For more information regarding Phoenix College Paramedic Program initial accreditation click here or contact CAAHEP:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions
8301 Lakeview Parkway
Rowlett, TX 75088