The Medical Assistant is a link between health care providers and their patients, their professional associates, and the suppliers of equipment and medications. The Medical Assistant is the team member who assists the qualified provider in the office or other medical setting, performing administrative and/or clinical duties.
Demand for the Medical Assistant may also occur in business or industrial health centers, health insurance companies and emergency care centers. The Medical Assistant has a wide range of duties supportive to the provider’s practice. Business/administrative duties include scheduling and receiving patients, obtaining patient information, maintaining medical records, maintaining supplies and equipment, and assuming responsibility for office care, insurance matters, office accounts, fees and collections. Medically related duties include assisting with examinations and treatments, taking health histories, performing certain diagnostic tests, carrying out laboratory procedures and sterilizing instruments and equipment.
Knowledge and Skills
The Phoenix College Medical Assisting Program provides education and training in the administrative and clinical procedures described within the roles, responsibilities and scope of practice of Medical Assistants.
Further, students who successfully complete the Medical Assisting Program at Phoenix College:
- Demonstrate competence within learning domains for medical assistants: cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior).
- Are eligible and prepared to apply for and pass a nationally recognized credentialing exam as a condition of hire. (RMA Exam)
- Are eminently prepared and preferred for entry level employment as a medical assistant
We offer two MA Program cohort starts: (does not include prerequisites)
- Day Fall MA program classes meet on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (August through May)
- Evening Spring MA program classes meet on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (January through December)
Medical Assisting Program Documents
- Student Health and Safety Checklist
- MA Application for 2016-17
- MA CCL & AAS Checksheets for 2018