Transfer Services at Phoenix College

Transfer FAQ's

Transferring Within Arizona

  • How do I know my credits will transfer to NAU?
  • Will I lose credits when I transfer?
  • How do I know what is required for my major?
  • Are the requirements for a business degree the same at ASU and UA?

In Arizona answering these questions is easy. There are three public universities in Arizona:

  • Arizona State University
  • Northern Arizona University
  • The University of Arizona

The public community colleges and universities have a statewide transfer policy which specifies how courses transfer and apply. That means that you can select courses to meet university requirements even if you haven’t finalized your decision about your major or university. The Arizona Transfer Model includes the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC), transfer pathways, and common courses. If you are planning to transfer to a private university in Arizona or in another state, your transfer plan may still include completing an AGEC and/or an associate's degree. Ask your advisor. The Arizona Transfer Model includes the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC), transfer pathways, and common courses.

The Transfer Center’s goal is to help you plan your transfer to the university so it is our intent to offer you the information and tools you need to make that process possible. Here’s how we can help:

  • Transfer Information Sessions: These are designed to provide information on all-things-transfer! Topics for discussion include: how to make that transition from PC to the university, workshops on selecting majors, applying to the university and more! View our monthly calendar of events flyer in the downloads section.
  • Meet University Representatives at PC: Every semester, we welcome university representatives to our campus to meet with students individually to answer questions with transfer planning, admissions, degree information, etc. They include many of our in-state and out-of-state university partners. The Transfer Center hosts two big transfer fairs every semester (fall/spring) to bring together all the university options to our PC campus to help students make informed decisions for the next destination.
  • Computer access: Visit with the Advisement and Transfer Center to take advantage of the center’s laptop to research colleges and scholarships, and to complete the application online. Students can seek on-site guidance from the transfer coordinator if there are questions on the application.
  • Library of University Brochures: We have many college printed materials such as catalogs, degree information, transfer magazines and more! If you don’t see what you’re looking for, ask for it — we may have it on a thumb-drive.

You can send official transcripts to another institution in four ways:

1. Online - Log into with your MEID and password. On the main Student Center page, click the black drop-down arrow, click on Request Official Transcript. Official transcripts are $5 each and unofficial transcripts are free.

2. U.S. Mail - Payment of fees may be made by check or money order.
Please send your mailed request to:

       Phoenix College / Attn: Admissions and Records
​       1202 West Thomas Road
​       Phoenix, AZ 85013

3. FAX - Payment for faxed requests must be made by credit card ONLY and included in fax request. Specify whether you are requesting an Unofficial or Official Transcript.

  • Student ID number or Social Security Number
  • Current Name, Address and Telephone Number
  • Former Names used while attending Phoenix College
  • Date of Birth
  • Complete Address of where you would like the transcript sent
  • signature is required to process your request!

Please fax request to:
        Phoenix College Transcripts / (602) 285-7813

4. In Person - Payment of fees may be made by check, money order, or credit card. Visit the Admissions & Records office.

It's never too early to begin planning for a smooth transfer to another institution. Your decisions and commitment to a specific program and university directly impact the success of transferring credits. The longer you wait to make a decision, the more you risk delaying degree completion. We recommend the following:

  • By the time you have earned 6 credits - declare your intent to transfer.
  • By the time you have earned 24 credits - declare your major and university.

The Maricopa Community Colleges have agreements with the Arizona public universities (Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University and the University of Arizona), and more than forty other institutions - nationally and internationally. These transfer partnerships assist students in making a smooth transition from one institution to the next by maximizing your Maricopa credits. In addition, several of these partnerships offer tuition discounts and scholarships for Maricopa graduates. To access a list of Maricopa's transfer partners, please visit:

It is recommended that you transfer after completing an Associate Degree or when you and your advisor determine that you are fully prepared to transfer to your institution of choice.

Transfer Pathways

The transfer pathways group majors into broad categories that allow students to select courses that will transfer and apply even if they aren’t certain about the university they will attend.

  • Transfer Pathways are an advising tool to help students identify their best transfer strategy.
  • Most pathways include an Associate’s degree (AA, ABus, AS), an AGEC (A, B or S), and common courses.
  • If common courses are required in the pathway, it is an “SR” (Special Requirements).
  • If common courses are recommended, the pathway is a “GR” (General Requirements).
  • Degrees marked as “TG-XR” (Transfer Guide, Exceptional Requirements) have very specific requirements and may not be able to accommodate an AGEC and common courses before transfer. Students should refer to the transfer guide to select courses.

Common Courses

For students who know their major but haven’t decided which university they will attend.

  • Common Courses are recommended lower-division preparation for a major offered by two or more of the public universities.
  • Common Courses are decided upon by university and community college faculty committees.
  • Common Courses will satisfy major, minor, prerequisite or elective requirements for associated majors.
  • Common Courses are ‘safe’ choices for a student who’s undecided about which university to attend.
  • Common Courses provide an alternative for students exploring a number of possible majors – they will transfer to all universities as elective or better, and could apply to completion of a major or minor.